Position Description – Treasurer of the West End Music and Dance Teachers’ Cooperative Ltd
N.B. This is a voluntary position with no remuneration paid.
West End Music and Dance Teachers’ Cooperative (the Co-op) is seeking a skilled Volunteer Treasurer who is passionate about music and the performing arts.
The Co-op owns and operates Browning Street Studios in West End (established 2008) and is a registered Non-Trading Cooperative under the Cooperatives National Law (Queensland) 2020. The Co-op is governed by a Board of Directors, democratically elected every year from its membership and supported by a Company Secretary.
The Volunteer Treasurer will oversee the financials of the Co-op and assist the Board to develop sustainable finance strategies. The Co-op is a not-for-profit entity for tax purposes and is not currently registered for GST.
- Chartered Accountant or CPA preferred.
- The successful candidate is willing to stay in the role for at least one year.
- The successful candidate is able to become a financial member of the Co-op.
If you have the passion for music education and supporting independent music teachers and musicians, please send your CV and your contact details to Ms June Lee, Company Secretary at email@example.com by Sunday, 31 October 2021.
Term of Position
The appointment is 1 year. Retirement and re-election are governed by the Cooperative Rules.
A. General financial management as part of the Co-op
- Manage the Co-op financial matters such as monthly invoices to teachers and hirers, purchases and recurring payments etc.
- Oversee and present bank accounts, budgets and financial statements to the Board.
- Ensure that record-keeping and accounts meet the conditions of contractual agreements
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation such as Co-operatives National Law Act 2020.
- Keep proper records and documentation
- Ensure that appropriate financial systems and controls are in order (e.g. book-keeping, payments, purchases and other lodgements)
- Ensure required insurances are in place
B. Financial planning, budgeting and reporting
- Present financial reports and professional comments thereon to the Board
- Present and revised financial forecasts based on actual spend
- Advise on the financial implications of the Co-op’s operation
- Present the accounts at the annual general meeting (AGM)
- Develop strategies to enhance the Co-op’s financial sustainability
C. Fundraising, Funding and sales
- Advise on Co-op fundraising strategies
- Ensure use of funds complies with conditions set by funding bodies
- Ensure fundraising and sales comply with relevant legislation and are bound by effective financial systems and controls
- Ensure effective monitoring and reporting
- Attend Board meetings in person/teleconference
- Attend member meetings to communicate financial informationHelp out with other Co-op tasks if you have the capacity
- Promote the business and value of the Co-op